Rustic Zucchini cake is and unpretentious, moist and flavorful, lightly sweet cake topped with dreamy cream cheese frosting.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Shred two zucchinis – enough to make 2 cups.
If your zucchini is very moist, place it in a sieve to drain off any excess liquid.
In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 1/2 cup wheat flour, 2 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Stir them all together and set aside.
Next, break 3 eggs into your mixing bowl.
Add in 1 1/2 cup sugar and beat until smooth.
Measure out 1/2 cup each of extra virgin olive oil and plain applesauce.
Add those to your mixing bowl, along with a teaspoon of vanilla.
And finally, a teaspoon of fresh lemon zest. Beat those all together until smooth.
Add in your flour mixture and again, beat until smooth.
Toss in a half cup of chopped pecans.
Half a cup of golden raisins.
And finally the shredded zucchini. Stir them all in.
Grease and flour (or spray with baking spray) a 9 x 13 cake pan. Spread the batter in.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the cake tests done in the center with a toothpick. Cool completely.
For the frosting… you’ll need a stick (1/2 c) room temperature butter (unsalted.)
2/3 cup of cream cheese, also room temperature. Beat those together in your mixing bowl until smooth and fluffy.
Mix in a teaspoon of vanilla.
Slowly mix in 3 cups of powdered sugar. Once moist, beat until fluffy. Add in a tablespoon or so of milk if it is too thick. The frosting should be creamy.
Spread the frosting over the cooled cake.
Look at those lovely flecks of green in there.
- 2 c shredded zucchini
- 1½ c all-purpose flour
- ½ c wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1½ c sugar
- ½ c extra virgin olive oil
- ½ c plain applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ c chopped pecans
- ½ c golden raisins
- 1 stick (1/2 c) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅔ c cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 tb milk, if needed
- To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Shred two zucchinis – enough to make 2 cups.
- If your zucchini is very moist, place it in a sieve to drain off any excess liquid. In a bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder. Stir them all together and set aside.
- In your mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Mix in the extra virgin olive oil, applesauce and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add in the flour mixture and again, mix and then beat until smooth. Stir in the nuts, raisins and zucchini. Spread the batter into a 9x13 cake pan that has been greased & floured or sprayed with baking spray. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until it tests done with a toothpick in the center. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Add in the powdered sugar, stirring and then beating until airy. The frosting should be creamy. If it is too heavy, mix in the milk. Spread over the cake.