I was first introduced to White Chili years ago when we lived in the farmhouse in North Carolina. We were going away for a couple days and one of my husband’s soldiers house sat for us while we were gone. We had pets – and chickens – who needed caring for and we couldn’t take them with us to where we were going. We offered to pay her for house sitting, but instead, she asked for me to make her a pot of “White Chili” as payment. Back then I had never even heard of it and had to search online for a recipe. I don’t remember what recipe I made back then, but this is the version I came up with for our Sunday Supper Chili Cook Off!
To begin, dice an onion and mince three cloves of garlic. Set those aside for a moment.
Dice 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts into about 3/4 inch pieces.
In your Dutch oven, heat a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Toss in the chicken and cook until it is opaque.
When it is opaque, scoop the chicken out with a slotted spoon and set it aside in a dish.
Toss your onion & garlic in the pot into the drippings and cook until tender and lightly golden.
While those are cooking, dice up a jalapeno pepper. I just used a few slices of jarred peppers, but you can use a fresh one if you like.
When your onion and garlic are golden, reduce your het to low and sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of flour, stir to coat.
Add in 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, a teaspoon of oregano and 2 teaspoons of cumin. Stir that into the onions.
Pour in a quart of chicken broth.
Add 4 ounces of chopped green chilies.
Then add in 3 cans (14.5 ounce each) of cannellini beans (white kidney) that have been rinsed and drained, along with your chicken.
Finally add in a half teaspoon each of salt and white pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve topped with shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is live at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking HERE!
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.