I’m so excited to share this recipe with you today. When this event was announced with the theme of “Springtime Sweets” – this was the very first thing that popped into my head. And man oh man, I’m so glad it did. Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes – a lightly lemony cupcake topped with creamy frosting with actual bits of fresh strawberry. Mmmmmmm!
Dixie Crystals joins us today as we celebrate the coming of Spring with all sorts of springtime delights that are sure to be the highlight of the season. I can not wait to see what everyone has shared!
To begin, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a standard pan with cupcake papers. Set it aside for now.
In a bowl, sift together 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
In your mixer, beat a stick of unsalted, room temperature butter until it is fluffy. Mix in 1 cup of Dixie Crystals sugar, and again beat until it is pale and fluffy.
Add in two room temperature eggs, one at a time, completely mixing in the first before you add the second. Again, you want to beat this until it is light and airy.
Zest an entire lemon. Reserve about a teaspoon of the zest for the frosting. Place all the rest of it in your mixing bowl.
And then take that lemon and juice the whole thing as well. You’ll need about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add the juice to the mixing bowl and mix the juice and zest into the mixture.
Add in half of your flour mixture. Mix in completely, being sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Next you will need a half cup of buttermilk and a teaspoon of vanilla. Stir in the vanilla and half of the buttermilk. Mix completely. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture, and then the remaining buttermilk. Mix in each completely before the next, being sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula each time.
Scoop the batter into the pan, dividing evenly.
Bake this for 22-25 or until they test done with a toothpick. These do not get golden.
Transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack, and cool completely.
Now for the frosting!
You will need two sticks (1 cup) of unsalted, room temperature butter.
You will also need some strawberry jam.
And some strawberries. Depending on the size, you’ll need 3 or 4 of them. Remove the “birdnests” from the tops.
Then very finely dice the strawberries. You will need about 1/3 of a cup of minced strawberries.
Beat the butter in your clean mixing bowl until fluffy. Mix in 2 1/3 cup powdered sugar. Mix it until smooth. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the strawberry jam, a half teaspoon of vanilla, along with your reserved lemon zest. Beat them until smooth and fluffy.
Now for the strawberries. Add those to the frosting, and gently fold them in.
Place your frosting in a piping bag and top your cupcakes, or spread it on with a spatula. Whichever you prefer.
If piping the frosting on, use a large tip so that the bits of strawberry can come through.
Enjoy your beautifully Springy cupcakes!
Join us as we celebrate springtime and deliciousness with Dixie Crystals!
And here’s something especially exciting… Dixie Crystals is hosting a Brownie Recipe Contest with some AMAZING prizes in conjunction with the Food & Wine conference this summer! Check that out HERE!
Thank you Dixie Crystals for joining us today!
Here’s all of the recipes share by the Sunday Supper team for this timely Springtime event.
- Blueberry Buckle Coffee Cake by Neighborfood
- Butterscotch Chocolate Caramel Cookie Cups by The Messy Baker
- Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Coconut Lime Meltaway Cookie Bars by Chocolate Moosey
- Flan in Moscato Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Fresh Strawberry Tartlets by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Carrot Cakes for Two by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Bundt by In The Kitchen With KP
- Lemon Cornmeal Sandwich Cookies by girlichef
- Lemon Roulade by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lime Sugar Cookies by Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Bars with Poppyseed Crust by Foxes Love Lemons
- Meyer Lemon Cheesecake Bars by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mixed Berry Crumble by The Dinner-Mom
- No-Bake Banana Split Dessert Cups by The Weekend Gourmet
- Poached Pear Bread by Momma’s Meals
- Springtime French Macarons by Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Cheesecake Bites by Supper For A Steal
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Foodie Army Wife
- Strawberry Rhubarb Upside Down Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Join the #SundaySupper conversation with Dixie Crystals on twitter tonight! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
This post is sponsored by Dixie Crystals. All opinions are my own.