Pollo Alla Cacciatorra or Hunter Style Chicken classic Italian comfort food. Tender chicken braised with tomatoes, onion, peppers and herbs, enrichened with Hearty Burgundy wine – served over pasta.
This year Gallo Family Vineyards is celebrating the 50th Birthday of their Hearty Burgundy Wine. Gallo’s founders and brothers Ernest and Julio, created this wine as an ode to the wines they enjoyed in Italy and to pair with the Italian foods that they loved. This rich red wine has been an American favorite for half a century, and we are celebrating that today with a variety of dishes featuring this iconic wine.
To begin, heat a quarter cup of extra virgin olive oil and a stick of butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
Now for the chicken – I used a whole chicken cut into pieces. Working in batches, dredge the chicken pieces in flour and then place them in the pot.
Cook the chicken for a few minutes on each side until nice and golden brown on the outside.
When they are browned, set them on a platter and brown the remaining pieces.
While those brown, dice an onion and green bell pepper, and mince 4 cloves of garlic.
The very large breasts, I split in half with a cleaver.
When the chicken is done browning, pour off all but about 1/3 cup of the oils in the pot. Sauté the onion, pepper and garlic until tender.
When tender, sprinkle in 3 tablespoons of flour. Stir it in and cook for 1 minute.
Add in a 14.5 ounce can of diced, fire roasted tomatoes, and 2 cups of chicken broth.
Stir in a teaspoon of basil and a half teaspoon each of salt & pepper.
Nestle the chicken down into the liquid. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes. Meanwhile begin cooking a half pound of your favorite pasta – something similar to an egg noodle is ideal.
After it has cooked for 20 minutes, pour in a cup of red wine, I used Gallo’s Hearty Burgundy.
Pour it in and let the stew simmer for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
You will have a gorgeous pot of rich stew.
Serve the stew and chicken spooned over pasta.
For more information about Gallo Family Vineyards, you can connect with them via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Youtube. And to see where you can find Gallo Family Vineyards’ variations, use this locator.
Would you like to make your own crest like mine there? You can build one with Gallo’s Crest Creator.
Happy Birthday Hearty Burgundy! Join us as the Sunday Supper Family and Gallo Family Vineyards celebrate with these wonderful recipes.
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.