When I was a kid, my parents enjoyed occasionally taking the family out to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. One of the biggest treats about going to this particular restaurant, was that when we went, Mom & Dad would let us get virgin Piña Coladas. I’ve always loved pineapple and coconut together, and to this day piña colada is one of my favorite flavors of things. This cake is a fun way to play up those flavors with pineapple cake and a coconut frosting.
To begin, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease & flour a 9×13 cake pan, or spray it with baking spray. Set it aside.
Grab a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple and pour it into a sieve to drain. Don’t squeeze this out, just let it sit while you prepare the batter.
In a bowl, combine 2 1/2 c flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir together and set aside.
In your mixing bowl, you will need 3 eggs.
Along with the eggs, combine 1 2/3 c sugar, 1/2 c plain applesauce and 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil.
To those add a teaspoon of vanilla, and a half teaspoon of coconut extract. Beat those together for about a minute until nice and smooth.
Add in half of your flour mixture and mix it in.
Add in 3/4 cup sour cream. Mix it until smooth and then add in the rest of the flour mixture – again mixing until completely combined. Be sure to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Fold in the drained pineapple. Pour it into your prepared baking pan.
Bake this for 35-40 minutes or until it tests done in the center with a toothpick. Allow the cake to cool completely.
Now for the frosting. In your mixing bowl, beat 1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted, room temperature butter. Beat it until fluffy.
Add in 8 ounces of room temperature cream cheese. Again, beat it until fluffy.
Add in a teaspoon of vanilla.
Stir in 4 cups of powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
Finally stir in a tablespoon of dark rum. Beat it until combine and smooth.
Spread the frosting over the top of the cooled cake.
For the final touch, we’ll toast some shredded coconut. Spread about 2/3 cup of a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
Let the coconut cool, then sprinkle it over the top of the cake.
Cut yourself a square and enjoy your piña colada on a plate.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there!
Mother’s Day Breakfast:
- Bacon,Egg and Cheddar Scones from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Chai Berry Muffins from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Almond Prune Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Greek Breakfast Strata from Curious Cuisiniere
- Maple Almond Butter from girlichef
- Orange Julius from Neighborfood
- Rum Rolls from Daily Dish Recipes
- Slow Cooker Eggs with an Asian Accent from NinjaBaking.com
Mother’s Day Appetizers, Soups and Salads:
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Crostini from Hip Foodie Mom
- Carrot Ginger Soup from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Chilled Spring Pea Soup from An Appealing Plan
- I Love You Mom Melon Salad from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Strawberry Salad with Asparagus Mousse from Delaware Girl Eats
- Truffled Sea Salt Shrimp Arugula Salad from Family Foodie
- Vegetable Shu Mai from My Healthy Eating Habits
Mother’s Day Main Dishes:
- Betty’s Salad from Jelly Toast
- Brussels Sprouts Kofta from Soni’s Food
- Cajun Shrimp Eggplant Casserole from Food Lust People Love
- Crepes Lorraine from Noshing With The Nolands
- Greek Chicken Pizza from Casa de Crews
- Ham and Spinach Quiche from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Lightened-Up Penne & Tomato Cream Sauce with Peas & Prosciutto from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mac & Cheese Dressed Up for Mother’s Day from Cooking Chat
- Mini Pot Pies from Jane’s Adventures in Cooking
- Paprika Shrimp from Nosh My Way
- Spears in a Blanket from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Mother’s Day Desserts:
- Banana Cream Pie from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Black-Eyed Susan from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cannoncini alla Crema from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Babka from Run DMT
- Chocolate Caramel Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Creme Brûlée from Desserts Required
- Frozen Strawberry Cheesecake from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Gluten Free Lemon Curd Pie from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Cookies from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Limoncello Lemon Pound Cake from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Mom’s Glazed Blueberry Tarts from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mom’s Coconut Macaroons from MealDiva
- Mango Sorbet from Pescetarian Journal
- PB&J Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Peach Cobbler from Cookin’ Mimi
- Pina Colada Cake from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pineapple Empanadas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Scotch Tea Cookies from Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Shortcake Whipped Cream Cupcakes from Seduction in the Kitchen
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.