This Minestrone is not your typical minestrone – in that it has been muscled up for my carnivore menfolk.
This week’s theme for Sunday Supper is everything SOUP!
To begin, cut up 5 slices of bacon into half inch pieces.
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven and toss the bacon in. Allow this to begin cooking over medium heat.
Mince 3 cloves of garlic and dice up a onion, and toss them in with the bacon.
While those get comfy, cut up some meat. I used just over a pound of beef chuck boneless ribs.
Toss the beef in with the rest, and let it begin to brown a little.
While those are doing their thing, cut up 4 stalks of celery with the tops, and 4 carrots.
Once your onions are tender and the meat has a little color, add the veggies into the Dutch oven, along with 28 ounces of diced tomatoes.
Rinse a cup and a half of chopped spinach, and press the water out.
Stir it in.
Pour in 4 cups of beef broth.
And for the seasoning…add in 1 Tb parsley, 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary, 2 bay leaves, a teaspoon fresh ground black pepper and a teaspoon of salt.
Finally stir in 1/2 cup of barley.
Bring this all to a gentle boil, turn down the heat, cover and simmer on low for an hour.
After an hour, peel and cut up 2 russet or gold potatoes. Add them in.
Then take a 14 ounce can of great northern beans, drain and rinse them. Put half of the beans in the pot, and the other half in a bowl. Ladle in some of the liquid from the soup.
Mash the beans with a fork until they are a pasty consistency.
Stir it all in and let it cook about 20-30 more minutes on low, until the potatoes are done.
Top with a little shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
- Chicken Tortellini & White Bean Soup at Flour On My Face
- Chicken Gnocchi at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Chicken Cheese Soup by There and Back Again
- Chicken Tortellini Soup by Country Girl In The Village
- Chicken Soup with Leeks, Onions and Fennel by Shockingly Delicious
- Family Style Tablescape featuring Chicken Tortilla Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Yucatan Chicken Lime Soup (Sopa de Lima) by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chicken Meatball, Spinach and Orzo Soup from Gourmet Drizzles
- Ground Turkey and Vegetable Soup at The Messy Baker
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Sausage Chowder by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Chick-Fil-A Chicken Noodle Soup by Family Foodie
- Chicken Vegetable Noodle Soup at Cupcakes and Pearls
- Healthy Bean and Sausage Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Smoked Sausage and Wild Rice Soup at Mama, Mommy, Mom
- Chili with Black Beans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Vegetable and Beef Soup by Supper For a Steal
- Swabian Beef Spaetzle +1 Soup (Gaisburger Marsch) at Galactosemia in PDX
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef Pho Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Frijol con Carne by MarocMama
- Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef and Noodle Soup) by Neighborfood
Pork or Sausage
- Louisiana Caldo by Catholic Foodie
- Sweet potato and Spanish chorizo soup at My Cute Bride
- Soft Tofu Soup (Soondubu Jjigae) by Hip Foodie Mom
Under The Sea (Seafood Soups)
- Shrimp Miso Noodle Soup at Pescetarian Journal
- Szechuan Fish Soup by The Urban Mrs.
- New England Clam Chowder at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hearty Okra Shrimp Gumbo Laced with Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Bacon and Shrimp Bisque at Big Bear’s Wife
- Lobster Bisque by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chinese Fish Maw Soup by My Trials in The Kitchen
- Thai Curry Coconut Mussel Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
Eat Your Veggies (Chock Full o’ Vegetables Soups)
- Not-So-Mini-Strone at The Foodie Army Wife
- French Onion Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Spicy Sweet Potato and Corn Soup at Magnolia Days
- Creamy Cheddar Potato Soup at Daily Dish Recipes
- Rather French Onion Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Cream of Ancho Chile Soup from La Cocina de Leslie
- Pasta e Fagoli Soup at Cravings of a Lunatic
- Miso Soup by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Vegetable Consommé with Semolina Dumplings – Grießknödel at Masala Herb
- Vegetable Medley Soup with Broccoli and Leeks at Chattering Kitchen
- Smoky Kale and Tomato Soup with Garlic Croutons by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Coconut Corn Chowder at Mangoes and Chutney
- Make Your Own (Gluten Free) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup at The Meltaways
- Ital Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup at The Lovely Pantry
- Chunky Vegetable and Barley Soup at Curious Cuisiniere
- Corn Soup with Crispy Tortilla Strips at Ninja Baking
- Jalapeno Beer Cheese Soup by The Hand That Rocks The Ladle
- Wild Mushroom Soup at Food Lust People Love
- Creamy Carrot Soup at Cookistry
- Vermicelli Soup by Damn Delicious
- Country Split Pea Soup with Bacon and Potatoes at girlichef
- Chilled Strawberry Soup at Juanita’s Cocina
- Bread and Tomato Soup – Gazpacho Style at Vintage Kitchen Notes
Of course once you have seen all of the recipes for the day, you’ll not want to miss our #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 AKST/7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hash tag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Don’t forget to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.