This week, our Sunday Supper crew is sharing a FAN-tastic array of goodies for Football Season…whether you are at the game or in your living room!
I am sharing with you Moose Chili.
Now of course, I know most people don’t have moose meat in their freezer like we do up here in Alaska, but simply replace the moose meat with some nice beef steaks, and you will be good to go!
To begin, you will cut up about 6 slices of bacon.
Toss it in a Dutch oven, and begin cooking it over medium heat until it is golden and a little crispy.
Meanwhile, cut up about a pound and a half of some delicious tenderloin moose steaks…or some good quality beef steak, and dice up an onion.
Scoop the bacon out with a slotted spoon and reserve it in a dish.
Toss that into the bacon drippings, and cook until the onion is tender.
Splash in a little whiskey – about 2 tablespoons
Add in 15 ounces of tomato sauce
Now for the spices, a quarter cup of Chili Powder, A teaspoon each of Oregano and Cumin, and a half teaspoon each of salt, pepper and smoked paprika
Then pour in a cup and a half of beef broth
Next, take a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, split it open, scrape out the seeds and mince the pepper. Toss the pepper in the chili. Cover and simmer on low for an hour and a half. Stir occasionally.
After it has cooked, you will add in 2 – 15 ounce cans of black beans, that have been rinsed and drained, as well as a cup of frozen, whole kernel corn.
Let it cook about 15 more minutes, and then stir in the bacon.
Serve topped with sour cream and shredded cheese.
- 6 slices Bacon
- 1½ lb moose tenderloin (or good beef steak)
- 1 onion
- 2 T whiskey
- 15 ounces Tomato sauce
- ¼ c chili powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ t salt
- ½ t pepper
- ½ t smoked paprika
- 1½ c beef broth
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans
- 1 c frozen whole kernel corn
- shredded cheese & sour cream for topping
- To begin, you will cut up the bacon. Toss it in a Dutch oven, and begin cooking it over medium heat until it is golden and a little crispy. Meanwhile, cut up the tenderloin moose steaks…or some good quality beef steak, and dice up the onion. Scoop the bacon out with a slotted spoon and reserve it in a dish. Toss that into the bacon drippings, and cook until the onion is tender.
- Splash in a little whiskey, and add the tomato sauce, Chili Powder, Oregano, Cumin, salt, pepper and smoked paprika, and pour in the beef broth. Then take a chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, split it open, scrape out the seeds and mince the pepper. Toss the pepper in the chili. Cover and simmer on low for an hour and a half. Stir occasionally.
- After it has cooked, you will add in the black beans, that have been rinsed and drained, as well as the frozen, whole kernel corn. Let it cook about 15 more minutes, and then stir in the bacon.
- Serve topped with sour cream and shredded cheese.
Have a wonderful Sunday Supper!!!
Don’t forget to join us on Sunday as we share our favorite tailgate recipes and tips. Hop on twitter at 7pm EST/3pm AST for the live #SundaySupper chat.
Pre Game Warm-ups:
- Sausage Balls by My Catholic Kitchen
- Edamame Hummus by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Rueben Dip by The Meltaways
- Buffalo Wing Hummus by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Smokey Guacamole with Bacon by Family Spice
- Pepperoni & Mozzarella Pull Apart by In the Kitchen with KP
- Boneless Honey BBQ Chicken Wings by Juanita’s Cocina
- Candied Pecans by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Swabian Mini Meatballs (Schwaebische Mini Fleischkuechle) by Galactosemia in PDX
- Joe Montana’s Touchdown Guacamole by Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheddar Cheese Jalapeno Bites by Mama.Mommy.Mom.
- Hot & Spicy Popcorn Chicken by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers by Real Best Recipe
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites by Family Foodie
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Indian Spiced Chicken Meatballs by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Game Day Loaded Nachos by The Messy Baker
- Buffalo Chicken Dip by Home Cooking Memories
- Southwestern Spring Rolls by Supper for a Steal
- Pepperoni Pizza Puffs by Comfy Cuisine
- Roasted Garlic Bacon Dip with Easy Homemade Tortilla Chips by Daily Dish Recipes
- Beer Battered Spiced Sweet Potato Lentil Fritters by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
On the Sidelines:
- Anne’s Best Potato Salad with Bacon and Peas by Webicurean
- Papa’s Potato Salad & Baked Beans by Kwistin’s Favorites
- Simple Roasted Purple Potatoes by Ruffles and Truffles
- Spicy BBQ Baked Beans by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Breakfast Sandwich by Cooking Underwriter
- Pollo Adobado con Papas (Adobo Chicken with Potatoes) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Poor Man’s Burrito by Shockingly Delicious
- Ham and Mushroom Handpies by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Individual Muffuletta Sandwiches by Magnolia Days
- Far East Steak Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Italian Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hot Chicken Chili by Momma’s Meals
- Biscuit Sloppy Joes by Sustainable Dad
- Hawaiian Chicken Wraps by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grandpa Sal’s Sausage and Peppers by Daddy Knows Less
- Fancy Filet Chili by I Run for Wine
- Homemade Italian Sausage by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Jalapeno Crockpot Chili by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Flavorful Fall Marinade by Midlife Road Trip
- Peanut Butter-Stuffed Chocolate Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Streusel Topped Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Zucchini Cupcakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Oven-Baked Churros by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Swirl Nutella Cupcakes by Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter and Pretzel Truffles by Gotta Get Baked
From the Cooler:
- Sparkling Tropical Lemonade by Dinners. Dishes, and Desserts
- Strawberry Horchata by Damn Delicious
- Bloody Mary Gazpacho by 30AEats
- MVP Bloody Mary Bar by An Appealing Plan
Wine Pairings by Wine Everyday