This Sunday, we are celebrating spring time with the refreshing flavors of citrus. I’m sharing two of my favorite scones with you. The recipes for these two scones are identical, except for the fruit used.
To begin, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
IN a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons of flour with a tablespoon of baking powder.
Along with 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1/8 of a teaspoon of sea salt.
Stir these together, then slice up 6 tablespoons of cold butter.
Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry blender until crumby, and there are no bits of butter larger than a pea.
Depending on whether it is lemon or orange scones you are making, add in about a tablespoon of zest from the orange or lemon. Stir it in.
In a measuring cup, measure out 1 cup of cold half & half, and add to that a tablespoon of vanilla.
Stir them together and then stir them into the dry mixture. Stir it until it is just combined.
Turn it out onto a floured surface, and pat it into a square, about 8 inches on a side.
Cut the dough into 9 squares.
And cut each square diagonally.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they just get the tiniest bit golden on top.
When they are almost done baking, prepare the glaze. In a bowl, sift 1 cup of powdered sugar. Add in a tablespoon of vanilla.
And juice the orange or lemon into the bowl through a metal sieve.
Whisk until smooth.
Then add in another teaspoon or so of zest. Stir it in.
When the scones are done baking, place them on a rack over some foil or parchment paper. Immediately brush the glaze over the tops.
Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
The Sunday Supper contributors have brought you gobs of glorious goodies for you to enjoy! Take a moment and check them out!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina ~ Our host this week!
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 AKST (7:00 pm EST.) Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.