It happens every Thanksgiving or other holiday meal. What on earth do you do with the leftovers?! Well, here is my favorite thing to do with leftover mashed potatoes. Kartoffelpuffer!
Every Thanksgiving, my Oma Engels would stand in the kitchen and make these for our evening supper. We always had our Thanksgiving dinner mid-day, and in the evening would have a simpler meal of turkey sandwiches, all of the sides and these wonderful Kartoffelpuffer.
While traditional Kartoffelpuffer are made with grated potatoes, much like a hash brown, this is the kind I grew up with, and is the perfect thing to make with your leftover mashed potatoes.
This recipes is extremely flexible. I had about 4 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes here. We’re going to add a couple simple ingredients, and the quantities will be based upon how much mashed potatoes you have leftover.
In a bowl, whisk together the following – For every 1 1/2 cups of mashed potatoes you have:
1 egg, 1 Tb flour, 1/8 tsp baking powder and salt & pepper to taste.
Again, whisk those until thoroughly combined, and set them aside for a moment.
Finely mince a tablespoon or so of onion, again, for every cup and a half of potatoes you have.
Stir these all together with the potatoes until combined.
In a large skillet, melt a couple tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
Scoop the potatoes into the skillet. I find a muffin scoop is perfect for this. Don’t crowd them.
Let them cook for just a minute, and then flip them over…
Press them down a little with the back of your spatula, until they are about 3/4 inch thick. Let them cook 3-4 minutes until golden brown, and then flip them over one last time to brown the original side all the way.
Lay them on a plate that is lined with paper towel, to absorb the excess oils. Repeat with the remaining potatoes. Add butter to the skillet as needed.
Here’s another variation…add some grated cheese to the potato mixture. You could also add some crumbled, cooked bacon. Yum! Because these variations are perfectly acceptable – if you make “smashed” potatoes in your house rather than “mashed” potatoes – this recipe is perfect for those as well!
Mmmm… these make me think of my Oma.
I miss her dearly.
This week’s Sunday Supper event is full of more wonderful ways to put to use your leftover goodies from Thanksgiving. Take a moment and be inspired!
Breakfast & Brunch
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls by Juanita’s Cocina
- Turkey Cranberry Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Sweet Potato Biscuits by Home Cooking Memories
- Turkey Enchiladas by Webicurean
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole by FamilyFoodie
- Turkey and Cranberry Monte Cristo by Supper for a Steal
- Thanksgiving hangover sandwich by Crispy Bits & Burt Ends
- Turkey Tamale Pie by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Pot Pie by I Run For Wine
- Turkey and Stuffing Pasty by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Hash by Generation Y Foodie
- Turkey Tetrazzini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Andouille Gumbo for #SundaySupper by Catholic Foodie
- Red Potato Turkey Cutlets with Ginger & Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Thanksgiving Turkey Banh Mi Sandwich by 30AEats
- Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo by My Catholic Kitchen
- Turkey Mornay Open-Face Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef Croquettes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Simple and easy! Turkey a la king, fit for a queen! by Midlife Road Trip
- Turkey and Mushroom Risotto by Comfy Cuisine
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes by Yours Truly
- Skillet Turkey Reuben by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- # glutenfree Turkey Shepard’s Cake by Cooking Underwriter
- Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza by Damn Delicious
- Turkey shepards pie! by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Turkey & Cranberry Panini with Tarragon Aioli by The Messy Baker Blog
Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters
- Gluten Free Turkey and Dumplings by The Meltaways
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Curried Turkey Salad by Kimchi Mom
- Potato Patties w/ Tomato Salsa by La Cocina De Leslie
- Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup by Diabetic Foodie
- Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Cranberry Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Olive Tapenade by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Leftover Turkey Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding by MarocMama
Sweets & Desserts
- Cranberry Sauce Crumb Bars by girlichef
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping by Shockingly Delicious
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Potato Frosting by Yummy Smells
Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured
- Wine Pairings for Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Please join on us on Twitter throughout the day during #SundaySupper on November 18. In the evening we will meet at 7pm EST for our weekly #SundaySupper live chat.
We’d also love to feature your recipe for Thanksgiving Leftovers on our #SundaySupper Pinterest board to share them with all of our followers, too.