Today is Father’s Day, and in honor of Father’s Day, we’re sharing “Man Food!” I don’t know many Dads that don’t like to “burn some meat” on the grill, and this recipe is a perfect one for them to fix.
A couple of years ago, I had the agonizing honor to be a delegate from Fort Wainwright, Alaska for the Army Family Action Plan conference that was held at the headquarters for the Pacific region. And where is the headquarters? No where special…just Hawaii!!!
I mean, just look how miserable I was!
To begin, squeeze the juice of two limes into a bowl.
Add in 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil.
A teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
1 Tablespoon of cumin.
And finally grate three cloves of garlic into the bowl.
Whisk these all together.
Next, you’ll need a whole chicken cut up. I also halve the super large breasts.
Place the chicken in a large zip-lock bag and pour in the marinade. Press out as much air as you can, and seal the bag. “Squish” the chicken around to coat it thoroughly. Let this marinate over night, up to 24 hours in your refrigerator.
The next day, grab a jar of guava jelly, and measure out 1/4 of a cup. You’ll also need 1/4 cup of apple juice and brown sugar. Place them in a small sauce pan.
Add in the juice of a lime.
Bring this to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Now grab your bag of chicken, and drain out the liquid.
Pat the pieces dry with a paper towel.
Light one side of your grill, and heat to high heat (between 400-500 degrees.) Arrange the chicken on the unlit side of the grill skin side up and cook for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reads 150 degrees.
Now for the glaze. Once your chicken is up to temperature, brush the glaze all over. (If the glaze has thickened up too much, just heat it for a minute on the stove. Once you brush the chicken, cook it about 30 more minutes or until the meat thermometer reads 180 degrees in a thigh, or 170 in a breast. Brush additional glaze on every 10 minutes while it does that final cooking.
And your result? Perfectly cooked, gorgeous guava chicken.
Happy Father’s Day Dad!
And Happy Father’s Day to my hubby’s Dad!
And finally Happy Father’s Day to my kids’ Dad!
Join the rest of the Sunday Supper team as they celebrate the Dads in their lives!
- BBQ Chicken Nacho by Country Girl in The Kitchen
- Beer Battered Fried Mushrooms by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Burrata Bresaola and Arugula Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Chicken Satay with Spicy Peanut Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Chipotle Pork Belly-Stuffed Jalapeño Poppers by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Beer-Battered Prawns with Spicy Marmalade by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Devils on Horseback by Nosh My Way
- Fried Pickles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Garlic and Herb Wine Jelly by What Smells So Good?
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Wings by Manu’s Menu
- Tomato Bacon Jam by Feed Me, Seymour
- Bacon Bourbon BBQ Burgers by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Beef Barbacoa by Casa de Crews
- Beef Short Rib Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Beer Brats with Pepper Relish by Jelly Toast
- Beer Can Chicken by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicago Style-Pizza by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chili Dog Casserole by Simple Gourmet
- Chipotle Pork Chops by girlichef
- Coconut & Lime Grilled Shrimp Skewers by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Colossal Burger by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Lemon Pepper Wings by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Chipotle Chicken Pizza by Peaceful Cooking
- Grilled Lobster with Miso Butter by Kimchi MOM
- Grilled Sweet Guava Chicken by The Foodie Army Wife
- Ham and Pineapple Pizza Pockets by gotta get baked
- Huevos Rancheros Casserole by Pescetarian Journal
- Lacquered Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker by Shockingly Delicious
- Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin by Flavor Mosaic
- Meatball Burger on Garlic Bread by Healthy.Delicious.
- Mom’s Slow Roasted Brisket by Food Lust People Love
- Perfectly Pan Seared Steak by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pollo al Peperoncino by Run DMT
- Polish Coal Miner Piggies (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- Golabki) by Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Red Chile Shredded Chicken Tacos. How to win over your man’s stomach and steal his heart. by Simply Healthy Family
- Ropa Vieja by Meal Diva
- Salt of the Earth Ribs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Salisbury Steak w/ Loaded Mashed Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Smoked Turkey Drumsticks by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Stuffed Chipotle Bacon Cheese Burgers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Stuffed Pork Chops by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Gut Buster Chili by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- The Cleveland Hogg Burger by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Beer Funnel Cake by Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Black Forest Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carob Chip Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Chunky Monkey Vegan Banana Bread by Ninjabaking.com
- Classic Cheesecake by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Fat Man’s Pie by Magnolia Days
- Mandarin orange cake aka southern pig pickin’ cake by Baking & Browning
- Pizookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Pound Cake Stacks with Roasted Strawberries by Melanie Makes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Mascarpone Cream by La Bella Vita Cucina
Wine Pairings for Man Food #SundaySupper byENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.