It’s time for a culinary trip down memory lane!
This week, I am sharing a family favorite. I grew up having this dish at every major holiday. To some, Thanksgiving smells like Turkey – for me, it is the smell of Corn Casserole. For some Christmas smells like a goose or ham baking. For me, it is…Corn Casserole. This dish immediately takes me to my childhood.
This recipe originally came from my Oma Engels.
She made it, my mother made it, and now I make it for my family…a family who literally fights over who gets the last of it. Who sneaks into the kitchen when they think no one is looking and "taste tests" it while I am setting the table. A family who has a fit when the last of it is gone…prompting me to make TWO of these every holiday. Yep, it’s a hit to say the least.
To begin, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish or shallow casserole dish, and set it aside.
You’ll start by beating two eggs in a mixing bowl, and pouring in 1 1/4 c milk.
Add in 2 14 oz cans of creamed corn. I have tried make this with homemade creamed corn, and while you might like it, it is simply not the dish I grew up with. I can’t do it. Has to be the canned stuff.
Next, you’ll finely dice 1/2 cup of celery and about 1/4 cup of onion.
Add those in, along with 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
Then you’ll stir in 2 1/4 cup of soda cracker crumbs.
Stir them all together.
Stir in a pinch of ground black pepper, a teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of paprika.
And finally, stir in 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
Goodness, this already smells like home to me, and it isn’t even baking yet!
Pour it all into your baking dish.
Finish it off by sprinkling a little more paprika over the top.
Pop it in the oven, and bake it for about 1 hour, or until the middle is no longer “jiggly” …unlike my middle.
Who said that?!
ANYways…after it has baked, let it sit for just a couple minutes, and enjoy!
By the way… ‘member how I said people sneak into it before I am ready for them to? Notice I didn’t photograph the WHOLE dish? Take a guess as to why.
Corn Casserole means HOME to me. The smells, the flavor. I am immediately a kid again, sitting at my mom’s or Oma’s table.
You know you have them. Those recipes from your childhood or from way back, that you just love? Maybe it is a recipe that we grew up with, maybe it is a re-do modernization of an oldie but goodie. This weekend we are having a "Retro Recipe" event! Take a walk with Sunday Supper, and reminisce about those food memories, too!
Sunday Supper Retro Appetizers:
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
Sunday Supper Retro Salads:
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Retro Breads and Sandwiches:
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
SundaySupper Main Dishes:
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
Sunday Supper Retro Sides and Veggies:
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Retro Desserts and Cocktails:
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 3: 00 pm AKST / 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Corn Casserole – a Retro Recipe
by Conni Smith | TheFoodieArmyWife.com
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ c milk
2 – 14 oz cans Creamed Corn
2 ¼ c crushed soda crackers
½ c celery, finely diced
¼ c onion, finely diced
¾ c grated cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
pinch black pepper
2 Tb melted butter
½ tsp paprika, divided
To begin, preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish or shallow casserole dish, and set it aside. In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients, reserving half of the paprika. Pour all of it into the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining paprika over the top. Bake for about 1 hour, or until golden on top, and the center is firm, no longer jiggly.