Back when I first started blogging, Chicken Tortilla Bake was one of the very first recipes I ever posted. When I posted it, my son Jack had helped me out in the kitchen. I have since altered the ingredients of the recipe to make it healthier (no more canned creamy soups!) but I simply had to keep the original pictures of him doing the prep work. After all, this little guy is much taller than me now, and still growing! So this post will have some new and old pictures in it.
This Sunday, we are focusing on Kids in the Kitchen. I think it is very important to teach our children to cook…and not just the girls. Boys need to know how to cook too! Just keeping it real…we can’t expect our sons to necessarily have a wife that knows how to cook when they get married. I am continually astounded at the number of women I meet who can’t cook….not just can’t cook well, but can’t cook at all! It is one of the reasons I started this blog to begin with…to teach others, step by step, how to cook great meals for their friends and family.
To begin, in a small saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter over medium heat.
Whisk in 1/4 cup flour.
Cook it for just a minute, until bubbly, and then whisk in 1 cup of half & half and 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth.
Stir in a half teaspoon each of Salt & Pepper.
Bring it to a gentle boil, and the mixture will thicken to a nice gravy. Remove it from the heat.
In a good-sized bowl, combine a 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies and a quarter cup of minced onion.
Add in 3 or 4 cups of cooked chicken that is diced or shredded.
Add in your sauce.
Stir it all together.
Cut 8 large flour tortillas in half, and then cut those halves cross-wise into 2 inch wide strips.
In a greased 9×13 baking dish, spread about 1/3 of a cup of the mixture over the bottom, then layer half of the tortilla strips.
Spread half of the meat mixture over the tortillas, and then sprinkle with a cup or so of shredded Colby-jack or cheddar cheese.
Top it with the other half of the tortillas.
Spread the remaining meat mixture over that, and then sprinkle with another cup of cheese.
Ready for the oven!
Bake it at 375 for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden around the edges. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Check out all of these other fantastic Kids in the Kitchen recipes!
Start your day:
- Panko Encrusted French Toast Sticks ~Doggie At the Dinner Table
- Pineapple Not-Upside Down Muffins ~In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Bacon, Egg & Sausage Breakfast Cups ~Daily Dish Recipes
- Buttermilk French Toast with Homemade Cinnamon – Raisin Bread ~What Smells So Good
- Snack Attack: 3 Healthy Choices for Little Nibblers ~Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Fruit Salad in an Orange Cup ~Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Whole-wheat Pretzel Dogs ~Family Spice
- Poblano Mac ‘N Cheese ~Juanita’s Cocina
- Coconut Chicken and Shrimp ~Super for a Steal
- Lunie and Mini-me’s Grilled Pizza ~Cravings of a Lunatic
- Hedgehog Meatballs and Chili Dog Pie ~Cooking by the Seat of our Pants
- Walking Tostada ~Shockingly Delicious
- Mini Sausage Rolls ~Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Mini Corn Dog Muffins ~In The Kitchen With KP
- Mexican Black Bean & Quinoa Burgers with Homemade Guacamole ~Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Threaded Spaghetti Hot Dog Bites ~Damn Delicious
- Golden Potato Patties ~My Trials in the Kitchen
- Grilled Chicken Wings in Sesame Flavors ~The Queen’s Notebook
- Spaghetti Tacos ~Girlichef
- Parmesan Corn on the Cob ~Home Cooking Memories
- Yum Yum Salmon ~Family Foodie
- Pad Thai ~Meal Planning Magic
- Chicken Tortilla Bake ~Me!
- Chocolate Slab ~Happy Baking Days
- Chocolate Chip Cut-Out Cookies ~Chocolate Moosey
- Self-Crust Coconut Pie ~Magnolia Days
- Fresh Cherry Clafoutis ~The Meltaways
- Wolf’s Wonderful Peanut Butter-Brownie Fudge Sundaes ~The Weekend Gourmet
- Cookies and Cream Ice Cream ~The Messy Baker Blog
- Healthy Creamy Caramel Apple Parfaits with Greek Yogurt ~Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Salted Caramel Pudding Pops ~Hezzi-D’s Cooks and Books
- Chocolate Cheese Turnover ~Basic and Delicious
- Chocotorta Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Oatmeal and M&M Cookies ~That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Purple Blueberry Cake ~Tora’s Real Food
- Tropical Popsicles ~Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Carrot Cupcakes ~Diabetic Foodie
Brenda is hosting this special event and we would love for you to join us. We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! Our #SundaySupper live chat will start at 3 pm EST/11 am Alaska Time. Follow along on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat.
We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.