This week, the #SundaySupper movement turns 1 year old! I didn’t discover this wonderful group until April, but we are celebrating by sharing recipes that we have been dying to make, inspired by other contributors. I have wanted to make this lovely bread since I saw Patsy from FamFriendsFood.com, post it. I have jumped on the opportunity to do so. Here is my take on it.
I adjusted this recipe to make two loaves, since I was taking one as a treat for a meeting. Food makes meetings much more enjoyable. If I do say so myself.
I also made some other minor changes… I don’t follow directions well. She swirled dulce de leche in the top of hers before baking, but I chose to finish it off with a caramel topping instead.
To begin preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease to standard loaf pans, set aside.
In a bowl, combine 4 cups of flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp allspice. Stir them together and set it aside.
In your mixing bowl, combine 2 sticks of room temperature butter, with 2 cups of sugar.
Beat those together until fluffy, and then add in 4 eggs, one at a time. Mix well.
Measure out 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and set it aside for a moment.
Now peel and dice 2 Granny Smith Apples.
It is times like this that I especially miss having chickens. My girls would come running for goodies like this, when I called them.
Stir in the diced apples.
Spread the mixture into the loaf pans.
Bake them for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Allow them to cool for a couple minutes, and then remove them from the pans to a baking rack.
Now for the topping.
Measure out 2 teaspoons vanilla, and set that aside. In a saucepan, you will combine 1/3 cup each of brown sugar, white sugar, butter and half & half.
Whisk the mixture together over medium heat, and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 3 minutes, stirring continually. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Spread the topping all over the tops of the warm loaves.
Don’t these look delicious?
I have to say, that when my meeting that night was over, I brought home an empty plate. I love bringing home empty plates – it is the stamp of approval for foodies!
Check out how all of the other contributors decided to celebrate #SundaySupper’s birthday this week! I am honored to have a couple of my own recipes selected.
Sunday Supper Appetizers:
- Hot Spinach Parmesan Dip by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Comfy Cuisine
- So Simple Pizza Puffs by The Weekend Gourmet inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
- Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP
Sunday Supper Soups and Breads:
- Lasagna Soup by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Easy Italian Wedding Soup by Webicurean inspired by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Soup by Damn Delicious inspired by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Honey Butter Dinner Rolls by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Chicken Noodle Soup by Big Bears Wife inspired by My Catholic Kitchen
- Tomato Florentine Soup by Mama Mommy Mom inspired by The Meltaways
- Chicken Soup with Dumplings by Comfy Cuisine inspired by The Messy Baker
- Coconut Curry Chicken Soup by My Trials in the Kitchen inspired by Damn Delicious
Sunday Supper Main Dishes:
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in Chorizo Sauce by Supper for a Steal inspired by Family Foodie
- (GlutenFree) Chicken Bruschetta by The Meltaways inspired by Family Foodie
- Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew by Kimchi Mom inspired by Family Foodie
- Lentils and Chorizo Stew by Galactosemia in PDX inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Carnitas Pizza w/ Chipotle-Avocado Crema by girlichef inspired by Damn Delicious
- Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas by Country Girl in the Village inspired by Webicurean
- Drunken Meatballs by Small Wallet Big Appetite inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo by Magnolia Days inspired by Family Foodie
- Dorie’s Chicken-in-the-Pot by Hip Foodie Mom inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Pulled Pickled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Hoisin Asian Meatballs by Gotta Get Baked inspired by Damn Delicious
- Shrimp-Stuffed Twice Baked Potatoes by Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Soy, Orange Juice and Red Wine Marinade by Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Burger with Curried Cabbage Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by Soni’s Food
- Corn and Basil Handpies by Curious Cuisiniere inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken by Cupcakes and Kale Chips inspired by The Meltaways
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Chili by Food Lust People Love inspired by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bigos by Maroc Mama inspired by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Crispy Coconut Chicken Strips with Sweet Chili Sauce by From Fast Food to Fresh Food inspired by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends
- Pork Loin with Port Shallot Sauce by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen inspired by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Sweet & Tender Brisket by Daddy Knows Less inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Fish Tacos by Cookistry inspired by Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Homemade Harissa by Masala Herb inspired by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Seoulful Pulled Pork Sandwiches by Family Foodie inspired by Kimchi Mom
- New Orleans Style White Beans & Rice by Catholic Foodie inspired by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle
- Spice Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Tropical Salsa by The Urban Mrs. inspired by Family Foodie
- Mac n Cheese Cups with Pork Shoulder Ragu by Crispy Bits and Burnt Ends inspired by Hip Foodie Mom
Sunday Supper Veggies:
- Carrots au Gratin by Shockingly Delicious inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame, Cilantro & Bacon Bits by The Lovely Pantry inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sunday Supper Desserts and Snacks:
- Chocolate Brownie Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Magnolia Days
- Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Cinnamon Apple Chimichangas by La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Juanita’s Cocina
- Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle by Cravings of a Lunatic inspired by Gotta Get Baked
- Cherry Tart by Happy Baking Days inspired by Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Rolls by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Bread by The Foodie Army Wife inspired by Fam Friends Food
- Rosettes by Simply Gourmet inspired by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Donut Puffs by Soni’s Food inspired by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Cut-out Cookies by Basic and Delicious inspired by Chocolate Moosey
- Nutella Shortbread Bars by Kelly Bakes inspired by Baker Street
- Butterscotch Pudding Triple Chip Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen inspired by Dinner Dishes and Desserts
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream by The Messy Baker Blog inspired by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Angel Cake Sandwiches by Ninja Baker inspired by That Skinny Girl Can Bake
- Soft Pretzels with Spicy Beer Cheese Sauce by Vintage Kitchen inspired by girlichef
- Sweet N Spicy Roasted Spiced Nuts by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheesecake with Fresh Berries by An Appealing Plan inspired by The Messy Baker Blog
Sunday Supper Breakfast Faves:
- Spiced Pumpkin Ricotta Oat Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey inspired by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Budget Friendly Breakfast Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches by In The Kitchen with KP inspired by Big Bear’s Wife
- Raspberry Hot Chocolate by My Catholic Kitchen inspired by Momma’s Meals
Sunday Supper Wine Pairings
A New Addition:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 3:00 pm Alaska time / 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.